A suggestion from:
Winterising Austin Sevens – WYPWA7 Club 26th November 2018
- Put car away for winter before salt goes down on the roads.
- Treat fuel system with Tank Safe (rust inhibitor) – run engine to draw treatment through to carb.
- Fill tank right up with 97 octane premium ethanol free fuel. (Esso, Shell, BP, Murco). Filling tank right up to neck reduces surface area exposed to atmosphere.
- To run or not to run engine intermittently? Best left, but if you do, run it for at least an hour to warm oil through.
- Take plugs out and squirt oil in bores then turn engine over by hand every so often.
- Leave antifreeze in. Do not drain. Mix 50/50.
- Leave brakes off.
- Put car on axle stands, or inflate tyres to 50 psi and push forward or back to prevent flat spots.
- King pins – fill with oil to prevent risk of grease hardening.
- Change oil before winter, so fresh oil is left in the sump.
- Treat leather with leather food for winter. (Ian Hoole to send name via email.)
- Isolate battery and connect battery conditioner (better than trickle charger as it prevents sulphation of plates). “Accumate” senses 6 or 12 volt, about £50 on Amazon. Chris and Nick have had CTEK units fail. NB for cars with alternators complete isolation of battery prevents damage to diodes.
- Dehumidifier is better than a heater.
General info:- Engine oil changed every 500 miles.- Gearbox and diff oil change every three years.
– Camshaft bearing bored to just 1/32″ to increase pressure to jets.
Colin Wilks – WYPWA7